Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Basic Bone Broth

Homemade bone broth is not nearly as tedious and difficult as it sounds!

Ingredients:

2lbs. bones (beef, chicken, fish, etc.)*
water (about a gallon)
1 large onion
2 stalks of celery
2 carrots
bay leaf
salt and pepper
2tbs. apple cider vinegar

Instructions:

Place bones in a large stockpot, slow cooker or pressure cooker.

Add water and apple cider vinegar to the pot with the bones.

Allow it to sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes. (This step is supposed to allow the vinegar time to get into the bones and release all of the nutrients. I have seen some recipes where the vinegar is added and cooking is started right away so it's really up to your personal preference.)

Add in veggies and spices (save the salt and pepper until the broth is done and add to taste).

If cooking on the stovetop simmer for at LEAST 8 hours and up to 24 hours.

If you're using a slow cooker put it on low for 8-24 hours.

If you're using a presser cooker process at 15 pounds pressure for at least one hour. I let mine go for 2 hours.

Strain the stock through cheesecloth or a fine strainer and allow it to cool in the refrigerator. (After the straining process I usually move it to glass canning jars to put in the fridge because I don't have the space to put an entire pot.) The fat will rise to the top and harden. You can skim it off or keep it in the broth (whichever you prefer). I take it off and save it to use for sautéing vegetables.


*One of the major benefits of homemade stock is the gelatin that releases from the bones. The stock will be a little 'jiggly' after refrigeration. It will liquify again upon reheating. My beef broth has been jiggly, but I have never had jiggly chicken stock. However, I have been told that you need to add a couple of chicken feet to the cooking process for the extra gelatin. I've never done this though since I haven't had access to chicken feet so I don't know if it's true or not. I have recently found a source though and will be trying it on my next batch of chicken stock!





No comments:

Post a Comment